Print and PDF Options

Admissions Information

Admission requirements are based on the Ontario High School System. Prospective students can view the admission requirements through the Admissions website at The overall average required for admission is determined each year on a program-by-program basis. Holding the minimum admission requirements only establishes eligibility for consideration; higher averages are required for admission to programs for which the demand for places by qualified applicants exceeds the number of places available. All programs have limited enrolment and admission is not guaranteed. Some programs may also require specific course prerequisites and prerequisite averages and/or supplementary admission portfolios. Consult for further details.

Note: If a course is listed as recommended, it is not mandatory for admission. Students who do not follow the recommendations will not be disadvantaged in the admission process.


• B.J. (Honours)

Admission Requirements

First Year

The Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent including a minimum of six 4U or M courses. The six 4U or M courses must include 4U English. Applicants submitting an English language test to satisfy the requirements of the English Language Proficiency section of this Calendar may use that test to also satisfy the 4U English prerequisite requirement. The Bachelor of Journalism with a Concentration in Health Sciences must also include one 4U Math, and either 4U Chemistry or 4U Biology.

Note: Students who already hold an undergraduate degree in another field are not eligible to apply for the B.J. (Honours) program. These students should consult the information on the Master of Journalism or the Master of Arts in Communication in the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research Calendar.

Advanced Standing

The School also maintains a number of places in second year for students who wish to transfer from Carleton or elsewhere. Normally, offers are made to students with an overall CGPA of 9.00 (B+) or higher.

Transferring from the B.J.Hum. to the B.J. or B.Hum. Degree

A student who wishes to transfer from the B.J.Hum. to the B.J. or the B.Hum. may apply through Admissions, and will be accepted if, upon entry to the new program, they would be Eligible to Continue (EC) in the new degree program.